Friday, October 1, 2021

Being Used of God - At Any Age

As you read the Bible you will find several people who are advanced in age.  It is interesting that these people were willing – and even eager – to keep working for the Lord or to take on new tasks for Christ and His Kingdom.  One of those individuals was Caleb, who along with Joshua, after wandering with the Children of Israel in the wilderness, were sent into Canaan (the Promised Land) to spy out the land.  To show the abundance of the land the spies came back with abundant, delicious produce. However, despite the great produce ten of the twelve spies gave a negative report focusing on the giants and fortified cities.  Their counsel was that Israel should stay put and not advance into that territory. On the other hand, Joshua and Caleb gave an optimistic report and encouraged advancement into the land.  They admitted that the giants and fortified cities were obstacles, but with God’s miraculous power these obstacles could be overcome.

After Israel moved into the land Caleb made these comments. Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old!  I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said” (Joshua 14:10-12).

 

Notice several important characteristics of this 85-year-old man of God.

 

1)      God was in control of his life and was not finished with him – he has kept me alive.”

2)      He believed that he was able to take on the task – So here I am today … strong … vigorous.”

3)      He was willing to accept a difficult job – To go out to battle … Now give me this hill country.”

4)      He trusted in the Lord and his help – the LORD helping me.”

5)      He expected great results – I will drive them out.”  All this at 85 years of age!

 

Lessons from this text for all of us – even for those who are advanced in years.

 

·         God is in control of our lives and is not finished with us.

·         God has a task that He wants to accomplish through us.

·         We need to be willing to take on the task that God has given us and believe that He will provide help and support.

·         We can expect results in our work that will exalt the Lord and bring honor and glory to Him.

 

As an adult, are you ready to let God use you?  What task are you ready to take on for Christ and His Kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment