Saturday, June 19, 2021

Sand and God's Abundance

Vacation is always a great time to relax, to go someplace that you do not usually get to on a regular basis, and to experience a time of rejuvenation.  Occasionally when my wife and I go to Florida for a bit of relaxation we try to get to the ocean so we can enjoy the beach.   As we walk up and down the beaches I am impressed by the sand.  There is so much of it, and it seems to extend for unending miles ahead of us. Multiply the sand on the beach on which we are walking plus the hundreds of beaches around the world.  Obviously there is lots of sand.

When I think of beaches, I remember that the sand was created by God; but I’m also aware that He refers to sand when He wants to describe something that is great in number.  For example, He told Abraham, “I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore” (Genesis 22:17).  When the Israeli judge Gideon fought for God, his enemies had many camels.  Scripture describes it this way, “Their camels could no more be counted than the sand on the seashore” (Judges 7:12).  Sand reminds me of abundance.  And when I think of abundance I’m reminded that God provides for you and me in abundant ways.  Scripture says that God gives us:

Blessings – “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work” (II Corinthians 9:8)

Joy, Peace and Hope “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13).

Grace“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6).

Our Needs“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19)

Love and Faithfulness“The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness(Exodus 34:6).

Abundant Life“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10).

The Apostle Paul sums up his thoughts about what God does for us in abundant measure with these words, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us” (Ephesians 3:20).  I am thankful for God’s wonderful provisions for us that come in abundant measure including His spiritual blessings, His grace, and His miraculous power.  Aren’t you thankful for God’s abundance in the things He does for us?


No comments:

Post a Comment