Monday, August 10, 2020

Great Delight

What is it that brings great delight to you?  As I began to reflect on things that bring me pleasure, enjoyment, a sense of satisfaction, and delight summertime came to my mind.  In the summer I enjoy being out-of-doors – walking by a lake or a brook, feeling the cool breeze blowing across my brow, observing ducks and geese swimming in the water, admiring beautiful flowers, and enjoying the warmth of the sun.  My electronic New International Version of the Bible tells me that the word “delight” is used 69 times in Scripture.  Looking through those verses I discovered some interesting things about delight.

 1)      We should take delight in God Himself.  The Scripture says, (a) “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4).  (b) “Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God” (Job 22:26).

 2)      We should delight in God’s Word.  The Bible tells us to take delight in a number of things.  (a) DecreesI delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word” (Psalm 119:16).  (b) Statutes – Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors” (Psalm 119:24).  (c) Laws“Blessed is the one … whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night (Psalm 1:1-2). (d) God’s WordsWhen your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty(Jeremiah 15:16).  Whatever Scripture is named it brings delight to those who are thirsty for God or in need of His comfort and care. 

3)      We should delight in what God does for us.  Usually the things that God does for us are called blessings.  This kind of delight may be the result of:  (a) God’s Deliverance – Then Hannah prayed and said: ‘My heart rejoices in the LORD; in the LORD my horn is lifted high.  My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in your deliverance” (I Samuel 2:1).  (b) The Salvation He offers – Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation” (Psalm 35:9).  (c) His Wonderful Works – Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them” (Psalm 111:2).  (d) The righteousness that He offers – I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God.  For he has clothed me with garments of salvation    and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels(Isaiah 61:10).  Indeed, we are recipients of God’s manifold blessings.

 4)      We should rejoice because God delights in us. 

“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing” (Zephaniah 3:17).  This verse tells us several things about God and His relationship with us.  (a) His Presence He is “with you.”  What a great comfort this is any time, but particularly in our time of great need.  (b) His Provision – He is “mighty to save.”  God has fantastic power to take care of us in every way, even spiritually.  (c) His PleasureHe will take great delight in you.”  Note that not only can we be delighted in God, but God takes “great delight” – in us as well.  (d) His Peace“He will quiet you with his love.” God’s peace speaks of the great calmness that He gives us even when we are stressed out.  (e) His Party (celebration)“He will rejoice over you with singing.”  When it comes to you and me, God is in the business of rejoicing.  Just think.  God delights in you.  Isn’t that amazing!  Take time right now to think about the wonderful things God has done for you.  Make a note of at least three of those things and take time today to thank God for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment