Thursday, May 21, 2020

In Times of Trouble


Years ago, I was visiting a hospitalized elderly lady from a church I served.  We had a nice conversation and before I left, she asked me to open her Bible and read an article she had placed in it.  As I looked at her Bible I saw that the cover bulged. Opening it I discovered scores of articles which she had cut from various publications and kept for future reading.  I asked her which article she wanted me to read and she said, “The first one just under the cover.”

The article, written by Andrew Murray, was entitled “In Times of Trouble.” When I finished reading she said, “That really encourages me.”  While reading the article I was also greatly encouraged and thought how I could use it to encourage many other people in future visits. After praying with the lady she said that I could borrow the article, make a copy of it, and return it to her the next time I came to visit.

Later, as I served another church, I shared this story and the article with a man who was hospitalized.  He enjoyed the article and when he heard that I planned to share it with others who were going through difficult times he said he would like to print it for me. Having copies of it would allow me to leave a copy with those I visited. The article was based on Psalms 50:15 which says, “I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give me glory.” The article says, “In times of trouble God’s trusting children can say:

First, the Lord brought me here.  It is by His will that I Am in this place.
Next, in that I will rest.  He will keep me here in His love and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.
Then, God will make the trial a blessing, teach me the lessons He intends me to learn and work in me the grace that He means to give.
Last, in His good time, He can bring me out again; How and when, He knows.

Then I can say: I am here by God’s appointment, in His keeping, under His teaching and for His time.”

It is interesting that the verse on which the article is based describes several things. (1) First, God wants us to trust Him and stay away from things that do not satisfy.  (2)  Second, God wants us to trust Him all the time including during difficulties.  (3)  Third, God knows we will go through difficult times, but He wants to show His power by rescuing us. (4)  And finally, God wants us to give Him the glory because He is the One who is worthy of being lifted high.

Are you going through a troubling time?  My suggestion to you is to follow the instruction from this verse and be encouraged by the article.  Invite God into your life.  Completely relax in Him.  Enjoy the fellowship that He provides for you.  And, rejoice with assurance as you rest securely in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment