Saturday, January 4, 2020

Launching Into the Future


As we launched into a new year, I began to think back to a number of launching experiences I have had over the years.  I’m sure you can identify with many of these because they are experiences that most everyone has.  I think of my first day of school, moving and attending a new school, going to high school, attending college, getting my first job, getting married, having children, getting my first full-time job in the area in which I had been educated, becoming a grandfather, and becoming a great-grandfather.  In all of these situations there was an element of the unknown.  I really did not know what the situation would be like until I had the experience.

As I thought of these common experiences, I also thought of my experience of backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains when I lived in Central California.  Among other things there were four aspects of that new launching experience that were significant.  I had to (1) Have a desire to get involved, (2) Have a willingness to learn, (3) Have good information, and (4) Have an expert guide.

Isn’t this just what we need as we launch into a New Year: Involvement, learning, information, and guidance?   In the Bible it was the Apostle Paul who said, “For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).  He also said, “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death” (Philippians 3:10).  It seems that the four aspects of a new launching experience has more to do with a relationship than it does with a religion.

So, as we launch into the unknown this year it is important that we do so with our hands firmly placed in the hand of God.  We can look forward to the future with anticipation because we know that God already knows the future.  With God, Paul was confident of the future.  He said, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39).  Join me as we launch into the future with the confidence we can have with God by our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment