Wednesday, March 7, 2012

An Opportunity for Service

What comes to your mind when you drive by a nursing home or an assisted living facility in the community in which you live?  Maybe nothing comes to your mind.  Or maybe you think “Those poor people.  I sure hope my kids never put me in a place like that.”  I would suggest that these homes are filled with opportunities – opportunities for you and me to serve others.  You might argue, “But, I can’t do anything.  I wouldn’t know what to do.”  Think about this:
  • Can you read?  That’s wonderful.  Come and read to me.  I can’t see well enough to read any more.
  • Can you write?  That’s fantastic.  Come and write a note for me.  I can’t hold a pen in my hand and I would like to share my greetings with someone I love.
  • Can you walk?  Beautiful.  Come and push my wheelchair to different rooms where I live or outside if it is warm.
  • Can you hear?  Wow.  Come and listen to some stories I have to share.
  • Can you sing?  Wonderful.  Come and sing to me and I’ll follow along as best I can.
  • Can you play dominoes or checkers.  That is great.  Come and play with me because many do not take the time.
  • Can you talk?  Good deal.  Come and tell me about your family and your work.
Remember, the senior adults who live in these communities are people.  They have contributed to society and have made a difference in this world.  Where they live is “home” and you are invited to come.  Come and do what you can.  Some day you may live in one of these communities and you will certainly want someone to come to spend some time with you.  As you come remember these words from the Bible, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers” (Galatians 6:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment